I call my grandsons the berry boys. Whenever I take them grocery shopping, we come home with at least one kind of berry. They can go through several pints of berries before you can blink. They love berries, they live for berries, they cannot conceive of life without berries. So the first time my daughter tried this Barefoot Contessa recipe for Tri-Berry Muffins, they were hooked and it’s become a favorite. Every time my sweet boys see berries in the grocery store, they are clamoring for more muffins.
The unique thing about this recipe is the timing when you add the sugar. By adding it later in the recipe you get a muffin with more crunch to the top so be sure to follow the directions exactly.
Triple Berry Muffins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1-1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 2 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/2 cup diced fresh strawberries
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line muffin tins with paper liners and set aside.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together in a large bowl. Whisk together to be sure the ingredients are combined.
- In another bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and melted butter.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry mixture and pour the wet mixture into the well. Stir until just combined. There will be some lumps but don’t overmix the batter!
- Add the blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and sugar and stir gently to combine.
- Using a 2¼-inch ice cream scoop, spoon the batter into the muffin cups to fill the liners.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean and the tops are nicely browned.
recipe from Barefoot Contessa at Home by Ina Garten