Cherry Hazelnut Biscotti
- ½ cup dried cherries
- ½ cup boiling water
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts
- 1 beaten egg for glaze
- ¼ cup sanding sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside.
- Combine cherries and hot water for about 10 – 15 minutes till plumped. Strain before using.
- Sift together salt, flour baking powder and set aside.
- Cream sugar and butter together about 2 minutes till light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla beating after each addition.
- Add the dry ingredients beating on low until fully combined.
- Stir in the drained cherries and chopped hazelnuts.
- Remove dough to a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half.
- Roll each piece into a 2 inch by 18 inch log and place on parchment lined baking sheet leaving about 3 inches between logs. Flatten logs slightly with palm of hand.
- Brush logs with beaten egg and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350F or till cake tester tests clean.
- Remove from oven and cool on a rack until warm to the touch about 20 minutes.
- Place logs on a cutting board and cut crosswise on the diagonal into ¾ inch pieces. Return biscotti to baking sheet, cut side down.
- Bake a second time until biscotti are beginning to brown around the edges about 12 minutes more. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
Makes about 4 dozen
This recipe can be doubled.