When the winter wind is blowing and there is no rest in sight, bake up a batch of Jen’s Orange Blossom bars. The texture of these cookies is very much like a brownie with a bright orangeiness that chases away any winter doldrums. The fact that winter is citrus season: even better because the orange flavors are ever so much brighter. Just be forewarned; they are very addictive. Make a batch and share with friends.
Jen’s Orange Blossom Bars
Makes about 5 dozen small bars
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons orange extract
- 2 teaspoons orange zest, (divided 1 plus 1 teaspoons)
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice (squeeze from orange used for zest)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine sugar, flour and salt and 1 teaspoon orange zest. Add butter, eggs orange extract and beat at medium speed until well blended.
- Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350F for 20 – 30 minutes or until golden brown and set in center.
- While cookie bars are baking make glaze: In a small bowl combine confectioner’s sugar, 1 teaspoon orange zest and 2 tablespoons orange juice. Stir together until smooth. Set aside.
- Remove from oven and pierce cookie bars with a fork or small skewer.
- Pour glaze over cookie bars and spread evenly. Glaze will melt into the bars. Cool completely before cutting into bars.
- Store in air tight container for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.