Every year we have to have the ultimate cookie for Santa. You know the one. It has to have at least 3 1/2 pounds of sprinkles, because Santa LOVES sprinkles. It has to be larger than any other cookie, because Santa LOVES cookies. And most importantly, it has to be made by a child because Santa would know if it weren’t.
Rich Roll Sugar Cookie Dough
Makes about 60 – 2″ cookies
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer cream butter and sugar.
- Add egg and extract beating just till incorporated.
- Mix together salt and flour, then add to wet ingredients mixing only till blended.
- Split dough into 3 or 4 equal sized lumps, flatten lump into a disc about 1/2 inch thick and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 to 4 hours or overnight.
To roll cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line baking sheets with parchment and set aside.
- Working with only one package of dough at a time; unwrap dough, place between two sheets of parchment and roll to about 1/4 inch thickness. Dough may also be rolled out on a clean floured surface. NOTE: By rolling dough between layers of parchment, you can roll and re-roll dough several times without changing the molecular make-up of the dough. When rolling with floured rolling pin on a floured surface, dough can only be rolled out once. Flouring the surface adds too much flour to the dough and toughens the dough too much.
- Place cookies on parchment lined baking sheets.
- Decorate cookies with sprinkles, colored sugar or jimmies, if desired.
- Bake at 350F for 8 to 10 minutes or till cookies just begin to brown around edges.
- Cool on sheets for about 3 minutes then remove to cooling racks to cool completely.
- Cookies should be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for no more than 2 weeks.