What do you do when there is no school and over a foot of snow? Well, like any red-blooded American kid, we go out to play in the snow…..sledding, sliding, throwing snow and generally getting as wet and cold as humanly possible. Then to warm up, go back inside after what seems like only 10 minutes but actually about half hour, peal off the layers, replace inside clothing with dry clothing, socks, etc. and figure out what to do for the rest of the day.
Once warm and dry, what to do? what to do? We decided to make scones. Make scones for a tea party. Get out the fancy child sized tea set and have an indoor tea party. Perfect, now, what type of scones can we whip up on the fly? Well, we just so happen to have dried blueberries and white chocolate chips, lets see what kind of scone that makes.
Cooking with the kiddos is always an adventure but our 7 1/2 year old grandson actually measured all the ingredients for these scones, did most of the preparations (including quality control on the blueberries and white chocolate…someone has to do it) and he dipped and finished the scones. Pretty good job!
So, how would you like an indoor tea party with freshly made, warm from the oven scones and a a nice hot pot of Vanilla Cream Tea at your tea party? It was delicious!
Blueberry White Chocolate Chip Scones
- 3 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup dried blueberries
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- Egg wash – 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water or milk
- Coarse sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400F and line two baking sheets with parchment or spray with baking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In another large bowl whisk together beaten egg, buttermilk and 2 Tbsp sugar.
- Stir about two thirds of the flour mix into the egg buttermilk mixture.
- Gradually add the melted butter mixing until incorporated.
- Mix in remaining flour mixture and blueberries and white chocolate chips. The dough will be somewhat stiff.
- Dip with an ice cream scoop onto the prepared baking sheets placing scones about 2 inches apart. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Let the Kiddos brush the tops with egg wash then sprinkle the tops with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until lightly browned on top. Serve warm with butter or clotted cream and jam if desired.
- Makes 12 to 15 scones