Every year at Valentine’s Day we made these Cherry Chocolate Kiss cookies for our tea trays. The pink dough with flecks of maraschino cherries and the dark brown of the chocolate kisses added so much color to the tea trays. Maybe make a batch today for your Valentine.
Cherry Chocolate Kisses
Makes 4 dozen cookies
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup margarine/butter
- 2 teaspoons maraschino cherry liquid
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 3-4 drops red food coloring
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
- 48 chocolate kisses, unwrapped
- Pre-Heat oven to 325F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine powdered sugar, butter, cherry liquid, almond extract and food coloring.
- Add flour and salt and mix well.
- Gently stir in cherries.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls.
- Place two inches apart on parchment lined sheets. DO NOT put chocolate on cookie till after baking!
- Bake at 325F for 8-10 minutes or until edges are light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and immediately top each cookie with a candy kiss, pressing down firmly.
- Let cookies cool for at least 10 minutes on sheets then remove from cookie sheets to cooling rack till chocolate firms. This could take over an hour depending on the temperature in your kitchen. To speed cooling you can put the cookies in the refrigerator for a few minutes. Keep an eye on them as the chocolate will bloom and form a white haze on the surface.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week.