In our family, Malt-O-Meal is a breakfast favorite. Now, many of you may not know this brand but as a child in the 1950’s it was our hot breakfast cereal of choice. We always felt so smug when our cousins from Connecticut only got to experienced this malty hot breakfast cereal when visiting our house or if we were kind enough to bring some with to their home. Now, whenever I visit my grandsons in the Baltimore area, I bring a box of Malt-O-Meal as my daughter is unable to find it in her local stores. The boys love the malty flavor with a few berries in their cereal.
I always believed Malt-O-Meal was a Midwest product with limited distribution. The company originally started in Minnesota in 1919 and over the years, bought out, merged with, or was absorbed by other breakfast cereal companies. Most recently, Post Holdings purchased them in 2015. Maybe now distribution will truly be nationwide.
This past weekend, my grandsons wanted Malt-O-Meal for breakfast but sadly, there was not enough to make enough for both of them. There was however, enough to make the muffins recipe on the side of the box. The boys helped make the muffins, which always gives them such satisfaction and, they declared them delicious! We served our muffins with a drizzle or dollop of Nutella, a chocolate hazelnut spread. The boys loved them with the little something extra.
Malt-O-Meal Magic Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup original Malt-O-Meal hot wheat cereal, dry
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients
- Stir together until ingredients are just moistened.
- Spoon into a greased or paper-lined 12-cup muffin pan, filling cups ¾ full.
- Bake for 16 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean or center is firm to touch.
Recipe from side panel of Malt-o Meal box.