Spring is coming! A brightly flavored muffin brings the tastes of warmer weather to my kitchen. At the tearoom we served a tremendous amount of lemon flavored items. Lemon bars, lemon cookies, lemon bread but by far one of the most favorite of our customers was the Lemon Raspberry Muffins with Streusel topping.
Lemon Raspberry Muffins with Streusel Topping
Makes 12 muffins
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Juice from one lemon
- 1 cup raspberries, fresh or frozen
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp butter, room temperature
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
For Streusel Topping:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs, lemon juice, yogurt, oil and lemon peel; mix well.
- Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Gently fold in raspberries taking care to not crush berries.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full.
- For topping, combine sugar and flour. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; sprinkle about 1 tablespoon over each muffin.
- Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until muffins test done.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to completely cool.