Tropical flavors during the last few days of winter bring home memories of those warm sunny days we wish would return. These muffins combine two of my favorite tropical flavors: banana and coconut both delicious but even better combined.
Banana Coconut Crunch Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed ( approx. 3/4 cups )
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside
- In a large bowl whisk together mashed bananas, oil, sugar, egg and vanilla till well combined
- Stir in flour, mixing only to incorporate.
- Fold in 1 cup of coconut.
- Using an ice cream scoop dip batter into prepared muffin pan.
- Sprinkle tops with remaining 1/2 cup coconut.
- Bake for 20 to 22 mnutes or till toothpick inserted in center tests clean.
- Cool muffins in pan for 5 minutes then remove to cooling rack.
- Serve warm or store in airtight container for up to 3 days.
Note: The bananas in the photo above were frozen but still work equally well. Whenever bananas start getting too many spots and the family will not eat them; I freeze them with the peel on if I have too many to bake with or just do not have the time to bake. Just lay them in the freezer till hard, then store them in a zip bag. That way I can take out just as many as needed for a recipe without having to remember to purchase bananas then wait for them to get overly ripened which of course gives the best flavor to baked goods.