Spring is her and its time to start thinking about garden tea parties….or maybe just a scone, a cup of tea and a good book out in the garden. For me nothing says spring like blueberry lemon scones and these get a nice little zip from the lemon zest. Be sure to zest the entire lemon and add it all for the freshest flavor. These are so tasty you may not want to share but this recipe makes a dozen or more so there’s plenty to go around. So start baking, call a few friends, get out your tea set and have some scones in the garden…..soon!
Blueberry Lemon Scones
- 3 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Zest of one lemon – about 1 – 2 tablespoons
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg beaten
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 to ½ cups dried blueberries
- Egg wash – 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water or milk
- Coarse sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400F and line two baking sheets with parchment or spray with baking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt and lemon zest. Set aside.
- In another large bowl whisk together beaten egg and buttermilk.
- Stir about two thirds of the dry mix into the egg buttermilk mixture.
- Gradually add the melted butter mixing until incorporated.
- Mix in remaining flour mixture and dried blueberries. The dough will be somewhat stiff.
- Dip with an ice cream scoop onto the prepared baking sheets placing scones about 2 inches apart.
- Brush tops of scones with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until lightly browned on top. Serve warm with butter or clotted cream and jam or lemon curd if desired.
- Makes 12 to 15 scones