What kiddo doesn’t like sprinkles? I know my grandsons will eat just about anything with sprinkles. They’ve informed me, “Doncha know Yiayia? Everything tastes better with sprinkles.” And well it should! So if you want to treat your kiddos with a summer treat that is just as good as a birthday cake only better, try a birthday cake muffin. They also make a lovely, colorful tea time treat made in mini muffin tins.
Birthday Cake Muffins with Sprinkles
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup multi-colored sprinkles or jimmies
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners and set aside
- Sift flour, salt, and baking powder together and set aside
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and egg beating by hand till incorporated.
- Stir in milk, vanilla, oil and melted butter stirring till completely combined
- Mix in flour mixture gently folding but do not beat the batter.
- Gently fold in the sprinkles or jimmies.
- Using an ice cream scoop, dip the batter into the muffin cups filling 3/4 full.
- Bake at 375F for 15 to 18 minutes or till toothpick test clean
- Remove muffin tin from oven and cool muffins in the tin for 5 minutes then remove to wire rack to completely cool.
- Blend together the confectioner’s sugar and milk to make a light glaze.
- Once muffins are completely cooled, glaze tops with a small amount of icing.
- Sprinkle a few extra sprinkles on top for garnish (optional).
- Will keep at room temperature for 2 to 3 days in an airtight container.