One of the most popular summer salads at the tearoom was our Asian Wild Rice Salad. The recipe started life as an Uncle Ben’s recipe that we changed to suit the needs of our customers with health concerns. This recipe is gluten free, vegan friendly and hearty enough to be a main course. It can be made nut free if you leave out the almonds. Try it for a summer barbecue. It’s the perfect salad to take to an event on a warm day without any worry about freshness.
Asian Wild Rice Salad
- One box Uncle Ben’s Wild Rice
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 pound grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds (optional)
- 1 small can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 1/2 cups mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Cook rice per package directions and chill.
- In a large bowl, toss rice together with next 7 ingredients and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinaigrette.
- Pour vinaigrette over rice mixture, toss gently.
- Chill at least 4 hours or overnight.
Makes about 2 quarts of salad.
This salad could be used as a side salad or a main course salad. For a main course, toss with fresh baby spinach leaves and add grilled chicken. It looks lovely serve atop lettuce leaves.