One of our favorite flavors in the summer is mango salsa loaded with ripe mangoes and punctuated with zesty lime juice. Mango salsa brings a brightness to grilled chicken or fish, pairs well with shrimp or fish tacos and is delicious with corn chips on a hot night for a snack. So, why not take these delightfully summery flavors we love and make them into a muffin? Using an overly ripe mango gives the best flavor.
Lime Mango Muffins are a fantastic idea filled with summertime flavors, reminding me of a day at the beach. Try them this weekend for a summery treat.
Lime Mango Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest from one lime about 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 ripe mango diced small, about 1 1/2 cups
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, crushed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, slightly crushed
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Juice from one lime about 2 tablespoons
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners or lightly spray tin with cooking spray. Set aside
- To make crumb topping combine flour, sugar, crushed almonds and softened butter. Mix with pasty cutter or 2 knives until small crumbs and set aside. I like to firm this in the fridge while I’m mixing muffins.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating only to combine each before adding the next one.
- Mix in vanilla, lime zest and milk stirring to combine.
- Add flour mixture and stir until just combined. There should be small flour particles.
- Gently stir in mango and crushed almonds just till combined.
- Use an ice cream scoop to fill prepared 12 muffin tin.
- Sprinkle muffins with chilled crumb topping.
- Bake at 350º for 20 to 25 min, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- When muffins test done, cool 5 minutes in the muffin pan then remove to a wire rack to continue cooling.
- While muffins cool mix together lime juice and powdered sugar for glaze and set aside.
- Once muffins have cooled, drizzle with glaze.