For a light summer salad that could be a served as a main course or an accompaniment to a lighter meal our Country Calico Salad fills the bill. It tastes much better if you have time to let it meld in the fridge but if you keep the canned beans, corn and chilis on hand it can be whipped up in a jiffy for an impromptu meal.
This salad’s deliciously bright flavor and beautiful colors make it a delight for the eyes as well as the palate. Serve it with a side of grilled chicken or fish for a light summer meal.
Country Calico Salad
- 2 – 14 ounce cans Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 – 14 ounce cans, Corn kernels drained and rinsed
- ½ Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- ½ Orange Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 small can chopped chilis, DO NOT drain
- 1 bunch Scallions, sliced or ½ cup diced red onion
- 4 tablespoons chopped Italian Parsley
- 3 tablespoons frozen limeade or the juice of 2 limes + 1 TBSP sugar
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- ½ cup canola oil or olive
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, mix together first 7 ingredients and set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together lime vinaigrette.
- Pour over salad ingredients and toss to coat all.
- Chill at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Toss again before serving for better flavor.
- This salad stores will 2 – 3 days in the refrigerator.