A couple weeks ago I shared a recipe for zucchini bread that I’ve used for years after receiving it from a local farmer at the farmer’s market. This week, another friend gifted us with another huge zucchini and I thought why not make more zucchini muffins? But, how about chocolate zucchini muffins. They’re moist and chocolaty, mix up quickly and oh so delicious.
This recipe makes 2 large loaves of zucchini bread, 4 small loaves or 15 to 18 muffins from one batch or any combination of these shapes. As stated earlier the secret is to blend the ingredients by hand, NO mixer, and use fresh zucchini but be sure to take out the seeds before grating. I use a food processor to grate the zucchini but that is the only machine used for these muffins or bread. This recipe mixes together quickly with very little effort and the mouth-watering results are hard to resist.
Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Makes 12 – 15 muffins, 2 large loaves or 4 small loaves
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
- ½ cup apple sauce
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line muffin tin with papers and set aside OR grease and flour loaf pans and set aside.
- In a bowl sift together the flour, baking soda, salt nutmeg, cinnamon, baking powder, cocoa and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, oil, vanilla, sugar, brown sugar and applesauce.
- Using a spatula or wooden spoon, stir the grated zucchini into the wet mixture.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir gently.
- Pour into prepared loaf pans or use an ice cream scoop to fill muffin tin.
- Bake at 350F for about 1 hour for large loaves or till toothpick tests clean in center of loaf.
- For Muffins, bake about 20-25 minutes or till toothpick tests clean in center of muffin.
- For small loaves, bake about 35 to 45 minutes or till toothpick tests clean in center of loaf.
NOTE: This recipe is delicious with nuts. I like pecans. Stir in about 1 cup of chopped nuts at the same time as you add zucchini.
NOTE: For even more chocolaty flavor, stir in 1 cup chocolate chips after wet and dry ingredients are combined.
NOTE: These muffins/loaves freeze well. Just wrap airtight in foil or plastic wrap and place in freezer for up to 4 months. It never lasts that long at our house but it does keep well in the freezer.