Oh, i just know you’re going to LOVE these muffins. All the flavors of fall packed into a yummy breakfast treat.
Pumpkin Muffins with Crummies and Maple Drizzle
Makes 12 muffins
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 15 oz can pumpkin
- 3/4 canola oil
- 5 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- 1½ cups cake flour
- 2 tablespoons butter- make brown butter
- 1¼ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tbs. maple syrup
- 1-2 tablespoons water
Make crumble topping first:
- Combine brown and granulated sugars, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together melted butter and add flour, then add to sugar mixture.
- Stir using a rubber spatula just until moist. The mixture will not look very crumbly yet.
- Spread out mixture on a cookie sheet or parchment paper to dry until crumbly ready to use. DO NOT skip this step it is important to help the crummies stick together when baking.
To make the muffins:
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Place paper liners in a regular sized muffin pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt until combined and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, brown sugar, granulated sugar, pumpkin and oil until smooth.
- Add the flour mixture slowly to pumpkin mixture and mix well using a rubber spatula.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths of the way full.
- Top the muffin batter with the crumble topping until they’re overflowing. Pat crummies down slightly to help keep in place.
- Bake the muffins for 10 minutes at 375 degrees then reduce the heat to 350 and bake for another 10-12 minutes, until muffins test done with a toothpick.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely .
While muffins are cooling, make the browned butter maple drizzle.
- In a heavy medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Allow to cook until brown specs begin to form at the bottom of the pan, about 3 minutes. Once formed, stir immediately and remove from heat.
- Add the powdered sugar, vanilla, maple syrup and water and stir vigorously until smooth.
- Add more water a tablespoon at a time until you get the desired consistency to drizzle over muffins.
- Using a spoon, drizzle over baked muffins and serve immediately.
Muffins should be stored in a air tight container at room temp for four to five days or freeze for one month.